How much does it cost to get a license?
- Total out of pocket cost for the 5 year license can be up to $250
- That includes the Class Fee of $99.95, which includes the fingerprinting fee of $9.95, and the application fee to DPS
- The standard CHL Application fee is $140.
- Senior citizens pay $70, and honorably discharged military pay $25
- DPS waives the license fee for active duty military, or those discharged less than 1 year.
- A full list of fees and discounts is available on the DPS website here:
Why should I take your class when other classes are cheaper?
- Less expensive classes can actually end up costing you more. If you pay additional out of pocket costs for range fees, fingerprints, photos and notary (when needed), snacks, lunch, and CHL-16 Lawbook, then those costs add up. We include all those things in the class, and we also give you a printed lesson plan to take notes on, and a pen and highlighter to keep! We also have MorphoTrust Digital Fingerprinting in our classroom so you don't have to go somewhere else, on another day, for fingerprints. And, we limit our class size to keep you comfortable. Make sure you know what is included in the "bargain class" fee before you sign up.
How long does it take to get the license?
- The state of Texas has 60 days after receiving your completed application to issue the license.
How do I know if I am eligible for the license?
- Eligibility requirements can be found here:
Should I apply for the license before I take the class?
- That is optional. You can apply before, or up to one year after, the class. More info on the application process can be found here:
What should I bring to the class?
- Bring your Texas driver’s license or other government issued photo ID.
- For warm weather classes, bring a light jacket, as we have no control over the A/C, and sometimes it can be chilly in the classroom.
- Do not bring your firearm into the classroom. You will not need it until we go to the shooting range.
- We supply pens, highlighters, lesson plan, application forms, drinks, and snacks.
What should I bring to the range?
- Unless you plan to rent a handgun from us, you will need a handgun (32 caliber or larger) and a minimum 50 rounds of ammo. If you think you might not pass on the first try, bring 100 rounds.
- We shoot at an outdoor range, so dress appropriately for the weather. Sunscreen, a hat, and a hand towel are always a good idea during the summer. Jackets and gloves are a good idea during cooler weather.
- Tank tops, low cut shirts, flip-flops, and sandals are NOT appropriate for shooting. Wear them at your own risk.
- We will provide bottled water at the range. Eye and ear protection will also be provided if you don’t have your own.
NOTE: Rainy weather can make the range somewhat muddy. Don’t wear good shoes!
Can I take the class if I don’t own a firearm?
- Yes. You can rent a firearm from us for $20, and we will include all the ammo needed for you to pass the proficiency test.
Can I take the class if I don’t know how to shoot?
- If you have never handled a firearm before, we recommend you take the Basic Pistol Class before the CHL class. We do not teach you to shoot during the CHL class.
What happens if I don’t pass the class?
- No pass, no pay. You have 3 opportunities to pass both the written and the proficiency tests. If you do not pass on the first try, we will work with you individually. If we cannot successfully get you through the written test or the proficiency test, we will refund your class fee.